If ambiguity doesn’t paralyze your decision-making process and you thrive in high-paced work environments, then M&A Deal Lead could be your next adventure!
In this role, you will be at the leading edge of project management – simultaneously managing & improving our M&A process, working across functional groups, and resolving issues real-time. Combining this management approach with an aggressive acquisition pace drops you at the intersection of countless, fundamental business issues. The M&A Deal Lead is responsible for shepherding business teams throughout three acquisition phases: buy, integration, and restructuring. You will report into the group COO, but are also expected to be a partner for our executive leadership teams.
A Deal Lead’s communication skills, keen eye for detail, and ability to frame specific issues within a broader context are vital to ensuring a smooth M&A process. We love to learn and if you do too – let’s connect.About us
Based in Austin, Texas, the ESW Capital group specifically focuses on buying, strengthening, then growing mature business software companies. By taking advantage of its unique operating platform, ESW revitalizes its acquisitions for sustainable success while making customer satisfaction a top priority. ESW and its affiliated companies have been in the enterprise software space since 1988, and the group includes notable brands such as Aurea, Ignite Technologies, Trilogy, and Versata.
The M&A Operations team works across the ESW Capital Group portfolio of companies. We are focused on the management of successful acquisitions. Through this lens we have opportunities to develop improvement projects and are responsible for associated cost savings targets.
Reporting to the COO, M&A Deal Lead will drive subject matter expert teams through our 3 key stages of a deal, Buy, Integrate and Restructure, to ensure growth and value creation. Supported by an M&A Operations team and alongside robust M&A playbooks, tools and business teams; this role will be expected to manage upwards of 4-6 deals per quarter.
Results and metrics driven, the role will interface directly with business and functional leaders to define integration strategies and report on deal status and restructuring savings. Foundational to ESW’S growth and profitability is the requirement to drive restructuring in acquired businesses. This role will be expected to drive significant savings through aggressive, decisive and action oriented restructuring in headcount and non-headcount costs across all deals. Key Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to
Required Experience and Education
- Drive all phases of M&A: Buy, Integrate & Restructure. Set deadlines and project manage business and direct teams
- Lead the development and implementation of integration strategies; translate M&A objectives into project goals, plans and actions
- Drive day-to-day execution of the integration process, including coaching cross-functional teams, leading weekly integration team meetings and driving proactive issue resolution
- Direct global cross-functional teams in implementing integration plan ensuring that short-term and long-term strategic objectives are achieved
- Assemble/manage team with subject matter expertise to manage the integration activities
- Act as the primary point of contact between the company and the acquired company senior leadership to adjust and develop integration plans while identifying issues, concerns, gaps to ensure alignment of objectives
- Establish simple, metric-driven reporting on acquisition savings & progress suitable for senior management
- Regularly present key metrics to Group board and owners
- M&A experience a must
- Project management expertise:
- Solid knowledge of project management discipline, project management tools, and analysis (5 years +); certification a plus
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple complex initiatives
- Proven success interacting with executive level management to determine solutions, resolve issues, and present recommendations at a senior level
- Cross-functional and interdisciplinary leadership and knowledge; background in strategy or consultancy a plus
- Creative thinking: planning and developing integration strategies and approaches to realize business objectives and maximize value creation
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, economics, business management, engineering or project management-related discipline. MBA a plus
- Strong communication, presentation and facilitation skills; PowerPoint, Excel, Google Suite, SmartSheet, the Pyramid Principle
What we would expect from you
What we look for in a candidate
- Be a quick learner
- Have a passion for organization
- Don’t be afraid to roll your sleeves up
- Be inquisitive – ask intelligent questions so you can firstly understand what we do and secondly make recommendations for improvement
- Classify severity – emails and meetings can bombard you with noise, you must be able to identify the true issues that need your attention
- Be self-motivated
- Drive tasks to completion – not all the tasks are yours to complete, but they are all yours to manage
- Communicate – as a remote team we rely on consistent communications
- Consistent track record of bringing diverse teams together to resolve common problems
- Ability to translate lessons learned into results
- A passion for data analysis (pivot tables, dashboard creation, reporting)
- Excellent spoken and written English skills
- Remote working experience
Compensation: $150K annual; paid at an hourly rate of $75. The position is a contractor position.
Location: Global (remote) - US preferred
Commitment: 40+ hours/week
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills. From there, to help us find the top 1% of talent, there will be a series of online evaluations and interviews. We realize these are challenging and can require a decent amount of time - so we thank you in advance for your efforts. Please note that you will not be paid for these interviews or skills tests but we hope you will complete them to help us truly evaluate your talent vs your peers.