3 - Job Summary and Purpose
Responsible for ensuring that the LNG, LPG and Sulphur ships are managed in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with standards and industry best practices
1. Contribute to the formulation of the divisional strategy in alignment with Nakilat strategy, and support its implementation.
2. Participate in translating the divisional strategy into annual operational business plans, and ensure their implementation, as well as follow up their progress, and take corrective actions as needed.
3. Ensure that the planned maintenance system is running effectively in the manner prescribed in the Quality and Safety Management System of the company.
4. Ensure that all the vessels are inspected on a regular basis and compile reports on the inspection conducted.
5. Ensure all repairs are planned in advance and completed in a timely and satisfactory manner within the operational budget which has been set for the same.
6. Oversee and guide the planning, scheduling, preparing and execution of vessels dry-docking, with an aim to ensure that all repairs are executed as per the planned maintenance system (SMS) and are up to the required quality, cost and timelines.
7. Oversee the management of the ships with regards to H&M and P&I claims, planned maintenance etc.
8. Monitor and record the consumption of fuel and lubrication oil on a daily basis.
9. Manage projects related to ship modifications and retrofits in coordination Fleet Project Engineer and the charterers.
Standard Operating Procedures:
10. Develop standard operating procedures for the Technical department with regards to performance monitoring, incident reporting, cost control, ship visits, condition of ships and present them to the Chief Operating Officer -Fleet for review and approval.
11. Oversee the implementation of improvements and standardization of equipment and technical procedures with the aim of improving efficiency and reducing costs.
12. Manage department staff and teams by overseeing their performance management, recruitment, training and development to ensure high levels of engagement and competence.
13. Contribute to managing change in own team by providing inputs for and taking part in change initiatives, programs and projects that are aligned with the best practice.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
14. Oversee and ensure compliance to all relevant QHSE policies, procedures and controls across Technical department to ensure that Nakilat provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Budgets and Plans:
15. Prepare the Technical department budget, and monitor its expenditure, while ensuring the optimal utilization of all available resources to protect Nakilat’s interest.
Systems and Processes:
16. Develop the Technical department policies, procedures and system, and ensure their proper implementation to support achieving the different set targets and plans.
17. Implement the relevant parts of the ship management transition road map for LNG ships from asset managers or joint venture partners to Nakilat.
18. Ensure that operational issues related to ships are resolved amicably and quickly.
19. Ensure compliance with the Fleet Safety Management System.
20. Represent the organization at industry relevant meetings with charterers and joint owners relating to technical matters.
21. Provide technical advice to joint owners and operators when requested.
22. Manage and solve all technical issues which arise on board the company owned as well as the chartered vessels.
23. Supervise the technical team in its day to day activities and report the same to the Chief Operating Officer -Fleet.
24. Execute and monitor the strategic initiatives of the technical team as per the approved business plan.
25. Work with the SHEQ Division to develop and implement an Integrated Management System for the company and participates actively for continual improvement of the system.
26. Carry out any other duties as directed by the immediate supervisor.
5 - Key Result Areas
• Lead the provision of Technical advice and the application of sound Technical practices.
• Ensure that maintenance of the vessels is carried out in an effective manner
• Prepare the departmental budget and effectively control costs
• Effectively manage the performance of the direct subordinates
6 – Interactions and Working Relationships
• Liaise on a regular basis with most Nakilat Business units (SHEQ, Commercial and Planning, Supply, IT, Finance, HR etc..
• Work closely with other members of the fleet division and other departments
• In the absence of the Head of Technical Department, Technical Superintendents, Technical Assistants, Administration Support and Project Engineers report directly to this position
• Fleet vessel staff- Management role built on trust and providing direction for superior business performance External :
• Work closely with asset managers and 3rd Party Managers
7 – Financial Authorities
• As per the Table Of Financial Authority (TOFA)
8 – Qualifications, Experience and Skills
• A Marine Engineering degree or Chief Engineer Motor Certificate of Competency (Preferably Combined Motor & Steam Certificate of Competency) or equivalent is essential
• 12 to 15 years’ relevant experience with, minimum of 5 years in a managerial role ashore and /or 3 years’ prior experience as Chief Engineer on board LNG/LPG vessels or oil tankers
• Prior experience overseeing an LNG/LPG refit as Superintendent (typically 10+ refits)
• Prior experience as superintendent
Job Specific Skills:
• Extensive knowledge of technical operation of the vessels owned and managed by large gas carriers
• Strong Project management skills
• Good knowledge of building construction and management
• Adept at engineering trouble shooting
• Understanding of incident management and emergency and crisis response