1. Leads the professional practice of the Radiation Therapist team. Promotes a practice model that is collaborative, collegial and of a high clinical and technical standards.
2. Develops, maintains and assesses practice requirements and competencies as relates to the job
functions of Radiation Therapist. Communicates requirements to staff and holds self and staff accountable to established requirements.
3. Develops and maintains Radiation Therapist work instructions and introduces new procedures and techniques in conjunction with Radiation Oncology and Medical Physics teams. Advises Therapist in new or difficult procedures.
4. Plans, schedules and organizes work for the Radiation Therapist team, ensuring proper distribution and delegation of assignments, efficient utilization personnel, space and facilities.
5. Coordinates the delivery of patient care in the Radiation Therapy department, ensuring compliance with clinical patient care standards and established policies and procedures.
6. In collaboration with the Chairman, Radiation Oncology oversees various personnel action including hiring, performance appraisals, conflict resolution and other related activities. Orients new staff members, assesses competence, and provides the link between Therapist and administration for all personnel problems.
7. Assist and supports staff in personal continuing development and assist in the training and education of other staff groups and non-health groups as required.
8. Take accountability for the requisition, care and maintenance of the Radiation Therapy department inventory, equipment and supplies.
9. Performs quality control activities to identify variations from procedures and untoward incidents.
These include regular patient chart reviews to eliminate dosage errors, arithmetical errors or errors of intention, machine logs to identify trends, and portal images to ensure compliance with departmental directives.
10. Ensures compliance with hospital policies and procedures, particularly those that are potentially hazardous including but not limited to: radiation safety, infection control, MSDS sheets and their application, patient safety and quality management.
12. Maintains required unit records, reports, statistics for administrative purposes.
13. Under the direction of the Chairman, Radiation Oncology participates in the development, annual revision, and implementation of policies and procedures to meet hospital requirements.
14. Collaborates with the Chairman, Radiation Oncology and the Hospital Director to prepare budgetary recommendations. Development action plans in conjunction with other members of the hospital team to ensure budget and resource efficiency and satisfaction with patient.
15. Liaises with medical, nursing, medical physics, engineering, administrative and support staff to ensure high standards of patient care and smooth operation of the department.
16. Maintains professional competence and performs all duties of a Radiation Oncology Therapist.
17. Participates in Multi-Disciplinary Meetings when required, to ensure that the Oncology service maintains high standards.
18. Performs other duties as requested consistent with qualifications grade and experience.