This role will contribute to strengthening the understanding and development of ideas, innovations and associated IP. The postholder will support the AED of IP and Commercialization in the following;
1. Support intellectual property management and commercial development activity across the Corporation by providing advice and support in identifying an assessing new opportunities from ideas generated from employees or on-going research through regular liaison with staff, researchers and students.
2. The postholder will utlilise expertise from, and act as a liaison with, internal and external departments, networks and partnerships which would be able to provide support to the AED in the following areas;
Developing a commercial plan for each opportunity with commercial IP, including assessment of commercial potential and review of competing technologies;
• Protecting IP through patent application filing, or other appropriate mechanisms (including trademark, design rights and copyright), and managing patent portfolio, including instructing qualified Patent Agents, key decision making and management of patent application costs;
• Managing formal patent documentation including IPR Assignments.
• Identifying potential licensees/commercial development partners, preparing marketing materials and approaches to companies;
• Negotiating commercial terms for an IP Licence, Industrial Collaboration, Service
• Drafting internal agreements e.g. IP assignments for students/staff and drafting or reviewing external legal agreements governing IP Licences Options, Industrial Collaborations, Consortium Agreements, Service Agreements etc.
3. Negotiate, with support from internal departments, inter-organizational agreements to allocate the responsibilities for expenses, financial return, and license management; negotiate material transfer and confidentiality agreements and oversee compliance with national and international intellectual property reporting regulations.
4. Provide information to the Corporations legal department to assist in determining intellectual property patentability and to oversee adherence to application timelines.
5. Identify support to evaluate software and copyright disclosures, identify and review existing and new contracts and file appropriate copyright registration;
6. Develop appropriate commercialization strategies for intellectual property, including identifying prospective licensees through the use of information bases, discussions with inventors, and contacts obtained through industry affiliation.
7. Prepare non-confidential disclosures and descriptions of intellectual property and related information for potential licensees.
8. Supervise, train, and evaluate staff as assigned.
9. Develop, present and/or coordinate workshops/ training and/or lectures on intellectual property and commercialization.
10. Perform related duties as assigned.