This role will contribute to strengthening the understanding and development of ideas, innovations
and associated IP. The postholder will support the AED of IP and Commercialization in the following;
1. Support intellectual property management and commercial development activity across the
Corporation by providing advice and support in identifying an assessing new opportunities
from ideas generated from employees or on-going research through regular liaison with staff,
researchers and students.
2. The postholder will utlilise expertise from, and act as a liaison with, internal and external
departments, networks and partnerships which would be able to provide support to the AED in
the following areas;
Developing a commercial plan for each opportunity with commercial IP, including
assessment of commercial potential and review of competing technologies;
Protecting IP through patent application filing, or other appropriate mechanisms (including
trademark, design rights and copyright), and managing patent portfolio, including
instructing qualified Patent Agents, key decision making and management of patent
Managing formal patent documentation including IPR Assignments.
Identifying potential licensees/commercial development partners, preparing marketing
materials and approaches to companies;
Negotiating commercial terms for an IP Licence, Industrial Collaboration, Service
Drafting internal agreements e.g. IP assignments for students/staff and drafting or
reviewing external legal agreements governing IP Licences Options, Industrial
Collaborations, Consortium Agreements, Service Agreements etc.;
3. Negotiate, with support from internal departments, inter-organizational agreements to
allocate the responsibilities for expenses, financial return, and license management; negotiate
material transfer and confidentiality agreements and oversee compliance with national and
international intellectual property reporting regulations.
4. Provide information to the Corporations legal department to assist in determining intellectual
property patentability and to oversee adherence to application timelines.
5. Identify support to evaluate software and copyright disclosures, identify and review existing
and new contracts and file appropriate copyright registration;
6. Develop appropriate commercialization strategies for intellectual property, including
identifying prospective licensees through the use of information bases, discussions with
inventors, and contacts obtained through industry affiliation.
7. Prepare non-confidential disclosures and descriptions of intellectual property and related
information for potential licensees.
8. Supervise, train, and evaluate staff as assigned.
9. Develop, present and/or coordinate workshops/ training and/or lectures on intellectual
property and commercialization.
10. Perform related duties as assigned.