candidate only from FMCG
Purpose of the Role:
Draw out an effective purchase strategy and related procurement plans aligned to the annual business objectives and plans. Tweak and implement purchase plans and procurement activities to continuously serve business requirements smoothly.
Identify the best suppliers, negotiate the most favorable terms and procure RMPM, engineering spares and all other material and supplies ensuring that effective deliveries reach the company within the agreed time, cost and quality thus fulfilling sales and business requirements continuously.
Ensure that all transactions are legally and commercially compliant and backed up with proper records, documents and clearances (local, regional, EXIM..etc.).
Business and Operations Focus:
1. Prepare the annual purchase plan based on the annual business plan requirements and budgets. Ensure that all procurement activities confirm and operate well within the budgets, the relevant company policies and business, sales requirements.
2. Prepare and keep updated a Purchase Policy covering all aspects of the purchase and logistics functions.
3. Obtain the necessary, ongoing business data and forecasts of sales, exports, maintenance, engineering and all other external and internal facing entities and align the procurement and logistics plans to smoothly meet demand estimates.
4. Monitor local and global market conditions and situations to remain updated of their possible effects on the relevant buying processes, costs, timelines, and prediction/possibilities of any unexpected disruption in the availability, transportation/SCM, costs or risk increases.
5. Ensure that all vendors are evaluated and approved by quality and the required internal functions. Ensure that RM is procured from approved vendors only.
6. Maintain proper records for vendor rating. Tweak the vendor evaluation process based on experience and industry best/standard practices. Ensure that vendor evaluation is conducted cyclically and suppliers are thoroughly evaluated in conformance with the purchase policy.
7. Gather and provide information, structured data and recommendations on market price movements to the Sr. MMO and obtain advice and approvals for making proper bookings.
8. Present structured information and data regards major RM to the Sr. MMO. Discuss, obtain approvals and perform timely purchase of RM stock at the most favorable prices.
9. Work with the store keeper to monitor RM stock levels on a weekly basis and ensure that the needed stocks are always available through timely purchase.
10. Attend the weekly production meetings to check and evaluate levels and ensure that sufficient stock is always available to meet the production requirements and guarantee OTIF.
11. Work with the maintenance manager to ensure that maintenance and engineering material requirements are clearly understood and ensure that proper material is always available to perform the planned and required maintenance and engineering activities.
12. Coordinate and follow-up for preparing the order, receiving the PI and making/releasing the PO for all traded items. Check and verify the rates, quantity and other necessary details contained in the PI along with the order lead time and arrival dates.
13. Coordinate and work with the production and quality departments to understand their purchase and material requirements and effectuate proper purchases to ensure that their requirements are fully satisfied within the targeted time, cost and quality.
14. Similarly perform all local purchases effectively as per the production and business requirements.
15. Deliver effective purchases of all promotional material. Coordinate with the printers and suppliers to resolve queries, provide the required feedback, specifications, and information/expectations. Ensure timely receipt of samples and work with the concerned teams for approval of samples. Place orders through an LPO (either manual or system generated) based on approved samples and ensure proper receipt of the expected material.
16. Attend new product development meetings to identify new product demands, schedules and procurement needs. Ensure that these forecasts and requirements are updated in the purchase plans and smoothly executed to achieve sales targets.
17. Collect the necessary bids and all relevant information and data for the required purchases from approved suppliers only. Evaluate these with the Sr. MMO and prepare and release proper PO’s based on the obtained approvals.
18. Liaison with customs and all necessary government departments to ensure that purchases are cleared well within time. Maintain all proper records related to customs and import requirements. Ensure zero demurrages and/or defaults.
19. Coordinate and follow-up with the clearing agents on a daily basis to ensure proper and timely receipts of all imported purchases/material. Follow-up with the banks for receipt of proper documentation.
20. Follow-up on payment requirements of the suppliers, whenever the needs arise and ensure that the suppliers receive proper information of payment commitments.
Commercial and Legal Focus:
21. Ensure preparation of the annual department budget relating to purchase and logistics and ensure that actual expenses are in line with the approved budget.
22. Accountable for result driven negotiations and proper contracting of deals.
23. Ensure compliance to all legal and regulatory requirements and conformance of all policies and processes, including continuous availability of the required certificates, clearances and approvals from government, semi government, regulatory and industry governors in all operating markets.
24. Ensure that processes relating to purchase administration are continuously fulfilled and the ERP entries are accurate and updated.
25. Ensure risk mitigation. Plan and implement effective controls and avoid promulgation of malpractices.
26. Ensure that proper PO’s containing all the necessary details in terms of time, cost, quality and other relevant terms which are fully conformant with the prescribed system requirements and signed by all the required authorized signatories are prepared and released to the suppliers in support of each purchase.
27. Maintain full and proper records of each purchase which are effective and actionable and files these systematically.
28. Ensure budgetary conformance wrt each price and purchase decision/transaction.
29. Ensure that accurate quarterly updates of the price details of all RM are given to the finance department for updating the costing files.
30. Any upward deviations or increase in prices must be first discussed with the Sr. MMO and proper approvals obtained before preparing and issuing the PO.
31. Ensure that vendor evaluations are conducted as scheduled/required and maintain an updated vendor rating file.
32. Any actual price deviations from those budgeted must be accurately recorded and filed on a monthly basis.
33. Prepare accurate quarterly purchase reports and ensure that they are sent to Central Purchase on schedule.
34. Coordinate product delivery schedules to ensure relevant RM remains fresh to minimize spoilage/improve product quality. Coordinate a (short/JIT) delivery process for certain high volume and perishable products, if necessary.
35. Ensure conformance with all applicable quality systems, standards and requirements already described at various places in the functional section of this JD.
36. Plan and implement systems, automation and process improvements in the department. Evaluate industry best / standard practices and technology tools / automation to improve operational efficiencies.
37. Ensure that people receive the proper professional and (personal) guidance to excel at their work and in their careers simultaneously assisting in providing a healthy work life balance.
38. Assist with updating the JD’s and KRA’s of team members.
39. Ensure that all new joiners are properly inducted and receive and understand their role expectations upon joining.
40. Assist with controlling/reducing attrition, and retention of key / high performers.
41. Assist organizational capability development by managing staffing quality, and training & development of relevant resources.
42. Assist with training of team members on effective usage of monitoring tools and reports.
43. Provide continual communication, feedback and undertake performance development measures / initiatives. Help with timely performance evaluations and implementationof corrective actions to ensure performance improvement.
44. Understand ESAT scores and improvement plans. Assist with implementation of ESAT improvement plans to improve people satisfaction metrics resulting in nurturing a "Great Places to Work" atmosphere.
Reports, MIS and Communications Focus:
45. Check accurate stock levels and updates and prepare an accurate monthly material requirement plan (MRP) at the beginning of each month.
46. Prepare the purchase report for all purchases conducted in each previous month, including coverage of price deviations from those budgeted.
47. Prepare and submit accurate quarterly reports to the Central Purchase Team.
48. Prepare and submit monthly reports for purchases made from each supplier for wrappers, cartoons, display outer, etc. as prescribed.
49. Prepare the necessary report after discussing price fluctuations against those budgeted with the Sr. MMO indicating observations, trends and remarks.
50. Assist with preparation (and standardization) of crisp MIS’s and reports for all areas already described in relevant parts of this JD; which indicate key highlights of department operations, which should be supported with drill down information, data, and statistics.
51. Periodically participate in reviewsof well-presented MIS and reports with the management team. Work with the Sr. MMO to initiate and implement actions resulting from such reviews and maintain structured reports / logs for the same.
52. Communicate, synergize and coordinate with all other functions to ensure that the department plans and targets are successfully achieved. Resolve bottlenecks and ensure optimal efficiency of department operations.
1. A graduate in commerce / accounts with a diploma or specialization in inventory management and/or logistics management is preferred.
2. Atleast 6 to 8 years of relevant experience, preferably in the FMCG food industry, of which, atleast 2/3 years should be in the Middle East markets.
3. Excellent skills in managing vendors, suppliers, specialist external agencies, freight handlers and shippers, customs and ports officials etc.
4. Must have experience of working and coordinating purchase and logistics requirements with cross functional teams like, Production, Maintenance, Stores, Quality, Engineering, Sales & Marketing, Finance and New Product Development.
5. Innovative and problem solving attitude.
6. Good with numbers, statistics and analytics with a strong ability to interpret and capitalize on purchase, materials and logistics data.
7. Good commercial acumen, excellent negotiation skills, proven crisis management skills.
8. Good at devising systems and processes to increase efficiencies.
9. Excellent communication and presentation skills.
10. Thorough with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
11. Relevant user level experience of ERP.
12. Primary job location: Muscat, Oman
13. Travelling: Local and regional travel within Muscat/Oman and to any other regions whenever required.