1. Demonstrates knowledge and application of the HMC mission, vision and values
2. Accurately interprets a physician request for initiation of radiation therapy and determines
the optimal technique, patient position, immobilization and reference points according to
3. Performs radiation therapy localization and verification and procedures images for the
radiation therapy planning and verification using the CT scanner, treatment simulator and
computerized planning systems.
4. Prepares three-dimensional CT data for treatment planning, to include contouring of
relevant anatomical structures, and selection and identification of appropriate reference
5. Performs calculations, procedures and/or evaluates simple and complex dose
distributions/treatment plans in collaboration with the Radiation Oncologist/ Medical Physicist.
6. Manufacturers and checks immobilization devices, cerrobend blocks, electron cutouts, and
other treatment accessories for radiotherapy.
7. Performs other mould room procedures as required.
8. Evaluates patient treatment data for accuracy, to include interpretation of treatment plans,
Lantis data and treatment documentation before executing delivery of radiation
9. Identifies any inconsistencies in the planning or delivery process, takes corrective action or
seeks advice prior to executing treatment delivery.
10. Delivers safe and accurate high energy radiation treatment to patients using highly
specialized and complex radiotherapy equipment. Routinely assesses the reproducibility andaccuracy of a set-up, takes corrective action and/or seeks advice when required.
11. Acquires and optimizes portal images for assessment of accuracy of field position during
radiation therapy. Where required, evaluates images, takes corrective action and/or seeks
advice prior to initiating treatment
1. Provides patient education regarding radiation therapy, its side effects and management
2. Routinely assesses the patient prior to treatment delivery. Assesses the severity of
treatment induced side effects. Interprets blood counts according to physician prescribed
3. Recognizes the signs and symptoms of developing complications during treatment and
knows when to withhold treatment until patient is reviewed by a Radiation Oncologist.
nagement Quality Assurance
1. Manages the day-to-day operation of the area of work to which assigned and organization
of the working day when acting as team leader.
2. Performs routine QA checks on linear accelerators, simulator and CT scanner prior to clinicaluse.
3. Routinely audits treatment charts (weekly) to eliminate dosage errors, arithmetical errors oerrors of intention. Identifies any inconsistencies in treatment delivery, takes corrective
action and/or seeks advice prior to continuing treatment.
4. Is responsible for radiation safety in area of work when the machine is in clinical use.
5. Coordinates care pathways for difficult/specialized procedures e.g. radiotherapy under
anesthesia for pediatric patients.
6. Participates in the development of standards of patient care and treatment delivery.
Communication/Team Work/Other Duties
1. Participates in Multi-disciplinary meetings to discuss the treatment options for individual
2. Liaises with Medical, Nursing and other staff when necessary for the well being of the
3. Liaises with Physics and Technical staff to ensure routine and non-routine maintenance of
machinery and computer systems can be carried out when necessary.
4. Participates in agreed rotation in all sections of radiotherapy department to gain.
5. Proficiency and experience in all areas and fulfill the services requirements.
6. Performs all duties according to the Departmental Protocols in place, and to report any
deviation from said protocols to Chief Radiation Therapist and the prescribing Radiation
7. Observes HMC Health and Safety regulations,
8. Local Rules and Professional Codes of Practice.
9. Complies with HMC policies and procedures; including but not limited to informed consent,
patient confidentiality, infection control, moving and handling, radiation safety and quality
10. Performs other duties as requested consistent with qualifications, grade and experience.