Job Description/Major Duties
(general job functions, responsibilities, day-to-day tasks & activities)
The Field based Electrical & Instrument Construction Superintendent working as the client representative responsible for supervising various contractors / subcontractors engaged in the implementation of range of E&I projects associated with the field’s development plans; and also responsible to manage Oxy field E&I construction supervisors.
The Electrical & Instrument Construction Superintendent responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Provide field supervision and progress reports all Electrical and Instrumentation projects.
• Ensure compliance with Health, Safety, Environmental and Security (HES) responsibilities.
• Promote awareness of the Company Health, Safety, Environmental & Quality policies and procedures to achieve fit-for-purpose Construction engineering.
• Develop and implement construction HAZID’s, risk assessments, job safety analysis and safe methods of working.
• Full knowledge, understanding and endorsement of all company HES policies, procedures, rules, regulations and certification requirements.
• Ensure all Electrical activities are executed safely.
• Interface with OXY Construction and operations team leads, engineering and construction contractors.
• Ensure that all E&I construction work is carried out in accordance with Permit to Work procedures, project drawings, project priorities and identify and correct any deviations.
• Ensure all installation activities are carried out in accordance with the applicable rules and regulations.
• Active participation on near miss and incident reporting programs.
• Responsible for ensuring the correct and proper implementation of the Management of Change process.
• To co-ordinate the communication of Best Practices by active participations on reviews and propose improvement on E&I standards and guidelines.
• Monitor competence of contractor staff to meet the appropriate professional standards for the project execution.
• Review of contractor Mark-ups drawings and MEI handover dossiers.
• Ensure that contractor & its subcontractors are working in accordance with the construction schedule.
• Chair weekly/other Contractor meetings as applicable.
• Promote training of local team to share and transfer of knowledge and experiences.
• Ensure red line mark ups (and as builts) are performed and checked.
• Coordinate with the electrical engineering department for the delivery of Work packs/ drawings in accordance with the construction schedules.
• Ensure that manpower resources including supervision are allocated to projects in accordance with the construction schedules.
• Ensure that the client’s/Operations site Team Leads are kept fully appraised of all electrical related works.
• Liaise with the Materials Coordinators in respect of availability of materials and equipment as required by the construction schedule.
• Coordinate electrical and instrumentation works & interface with the other construction disciplines.
• Daily meeting with Electrical Supervisors to discuss any issues on daily work fronts and coordinate work areas.
• Monitor work schedules and advise of potential delays.
• Review of work packs issued for comments for required details and constructability.
• Upon receipt of AFC W/P conduct further checks on any missing detail, terminations, inter disciplinary checks, material issues/short falls, raise any OMSR’s and monitor delivery dates
• Liaise with relevant Construction Engineers/Supervisors on any issues relating to the Works instruction being initiated and any field surveys etc that may be required.
• Raise any necessary engineering TQ’s.
• Participate in JSA, constructability study and other field construction related studies, as required.
• Notify QA/QC for RFI and organize MEI walk downs.
• Participate on Site PSSR-B organizing and scheduling as required.
• Liaise with Maint/Ops/Drilling on critical tie-ins/shut downs.
• Random work site visits checking Quality, relevant drawings/Work pack revisions, PTW documentation, general housekeeping and any HES issues.
• Advise and update the discipline engineer / project engineer of any technical or scheduling problems or material constraints in a concise and timely manner.
Requirements (Education required, background, experience, skills)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 12 years of experience in Electrical & Instrumentation construction projects in oil and gas / petrochemical industry OR College Diploma in Engineering with a minimum of 15 years of experience in Electrical & Instrumentation construction projects in oil and gas / petrochemical industry.
• Minimum of 6 years in supervisory role in the Electrical & Instrumentation field.
• Having particular emphasis on E&I for Oil, Gas, Steam and Water production plant type projects.
• Familiar with specified codes and standards and the installation of electrical equipment in hazardous and non-hazardous areas.
• COMPEX or equivalent IEC Ex certification for installation of explosion protected apparatus in hazardous areas.
• A good team player with an imaginative, proactive approach with strong interpersonal skills
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good PC skills.