Job Description :
Purpose of the Role
Establishes and directs i.e. designs and implements IT Infrastructure strategies according to approved annual operational plans. Includes strategies and plans for maintaining the corporate IT Infrastructure and its components, ensuring availability of IT services according to Service Level Agreements (of which the role holder is a coowner). Advises on the best solutions to address issues related to IT Infrastructure.
The geographical scope of this job consists of the Main Data Centre (currently in the Al Bahr Tower in Abu Dhabi/UAE), the Business Continuity in region center (currently in Al Muhairby building, to be moved to Al Ain/UAE ) and the out of region data center EBRC (Currently located in Luxemburg). The scope of the equipment to be managed consists of the Data Centre infrastructure (power, cooling and other environmental, the servers, network, security and storage equipment).
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the activities of assigned personnel and performs supervisory functions at the level established by management for the position.
- Develops and maintains the Infrastructure Technology Policy (ITP), detailing the current and future technologies in use in the Companys Data Centre.
- Has accountability for the infrastructure budget and ensures that all activities carried out are within the same.
- Advises IT Management, Projects, and Business Departments on the IT Infrastructure requirements of installed and planned IT equipment, covering network, security, IP telephones, servers, storage and all peripheral equipment.
- Advises and interfaces with the General Services Department on the environmental requirements required by the IT Division Infrastructure, such as power, cooling, monitoring and physical security.
- Reviews, with concerned parties, including Infrastructure Team, Vendors, IT Management, End Users, IT Infrastructure performance and quality of service. Diagnoses and resolves IT Infrastructure related problems, including direct/indirect negotiation with a range of external and internal specialists, Company departments or suppliers, as appropriate, and utilizing appropriate techniques, tools, methods or standards.
- Manages the execution of infrastructure changes in compliance with given guidelines and procedures.
- Plans and reviews response to requests for support. Includes setting priorities and following up requests in accordance with agreed criteria, investigating minor/medium problems and other requests for support and determines appropriate actions to take. Ensures that corrective action is taken, to improve performance and to avoid problems arising, accepting ownership for the problemresolution and allocating the solution implementation to direct/indirect reports
- Ensures Engineers follow agreed standards and plans when installing or removing IT Infrastructure components. Meets with and agrees the timing of the work with those affected through the Change Management process. Ensures that reports of all IT Infrastructure items that have been installed are circulated to relevant parties. Defines organizations standards of hardware through the development and maintenance of the Technology Policy.
- Identifies potential exposures to the IT Infrastructure critical to the continuity of the Companys business. Identifies the need for the creation, testing and maintenance of an information systems disaster recovery plan, to agreed standards and assists in maintaining the continuity of application systems critical to the Companys existence to a level agreed by Business Continuity and the IT Division.
- Plans and monitors the utilization and capacity for current and proposed IT Infrastructure changes. Includes directing the investigation, diagnosis and resolving problems, selecting appropriate tools and techniques to fulfil requirements to generate accurate information for measuring, estimating, planning and tuning capacity, as directed. Also space optimization (e.g. servers and so interface with the Facilities management team) and resource consolidation
- Produces schedules for managing releasetolive IT Infrastructure. Transcribes data on to the release management database, ensuring accuracy and consistency of data. Ensures that Engineers attend to simple enquiries on the status of new releases, using the release management database (when implemented).
- Supports mainly through the management and coordination of the teams and third parties working on resolving a problem the problem management process. Includes reporting on defects/problems, running simple diagnostic tools to identify issues, resolving simple technical problems, and obtaining diagnostic data to assist in investigating and resolving problems. Matches unresolved incidents against existing problems, known errors and other incidents.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Electronics or equivalentExperience
Technical Expertise/ Skills/ Knowledge
- At least 10 years experience in IT Infrastructure management.
- Proven track record in designing, implementing or managing IT Infrastructure at a minimum for the last 5 years.
- Demonstrable experience in managing a team of 7 or more technical staff.
Key Role InterfaceInternally
- Sound knowledge of Data Centre IT Infrastructure, including power and cooling calculations, structured cabling and physical security.
- Sound knowledge of IT Infrastructure, server hardware and operating systems, security hardware and operating systems, networking hardware and operating systems, storage systems and peripheral systems (such as Windows, Cisco, Oracle, eFront and Citrix).
- Good understanding of the available tools and techniques used in measuring and planning capacity.
- Good understanding of the importance of Availability, reliability and maintainability targets for the IT Infrastructure components that underpin the IT Service(s).
- Strong analytical skills and intellectual capabilities
- Solid leadership, interpersonal and people management skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with Senior and junior staff from different cultural backgrounds.
- Strong communicator: presents own recommendations in a concise, logical and convincing manner but also capable of taking up input from peers and developing own recommendations further
- Communicates directly with individual / groups of customers on related problems.
- Liaises frequently with customers at all levels to investigate problems and attends to requirements.
- Conveys maintenance issues and relevant problems to the relevant suppliers of IT Infrastructure products used by the business.
- Frequent contact with hardware vendors, support specialists regarding equipment needs and with vendors regarding supplies.
- Creates an environment where assigned team members consistently push to improve performance.
- Manages assigned staff with full accountability for achieving overall agreed business objectives; manages by effectively empowering others.
- Contributes to defining the framework for the development of critical talent and high potentials. Takes responsibility for mentoring high potentials and most critical talent in their career progression.
- Reviews performance of assigned staff and addresses performance issues through clear decisions