Who you are
It is our mission to make open source software available to people everywhere. We create world-renowned software, impacting the lives of millions of people every day. The web team works in multi-disciplinary teams, helping and learning from each other and constantly striving to improve both our work and our processes.
As a Web Developer, you will work closely with visual designers, UX designers and other developers to improve our existing products and bring exciting new web projects to life. Skills and experience we need you to have
- Demonstrable experience of working on modern web applications
- Experience in building responsive user interfaces for a wide range of devices and browsers
- Experience using Git or other version control system
- Awareness of SEO best practice
- Consideration of accessibility in all aspects of your work
- Understanding of web performance when building complex user interfaces
- Ability to interact with UX, designers and server-side developers
- A curiosity about technology and a thirst to learn
- You should have two or more years experience in the web development industry
- You should be based in the EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) timezones
- You should have a certified third level education
Skills and experience we'd like you to have
- Experience working with Linux desktop technologies
- Experience working with server-side languages, such as PHP or Python
- Experience working on a large scale React (with TypeScript) project
- A history of open source contributions
- Relavant work experience
Who you are
We want a Web Developer who loves what they do. You are passionate about web standards and actively keep abreast of new developments in our industry. You're always looking for opportunities to improve your skills. You like to show off what you're working on and also learn from others. You have strong attention to detail and value the design of a product as much as you value the code. You have strong communication skills and maybe even blog once in a while. You're aware of the latest CSS techniques but also know the limitations that developing for a broad audience can bring - actually, you embrace the challenge.
- You'll help maintain existing projects including updating content and adding new pages.
- You'll manage incoming requests for updates and liaise with or delegate to other people as necessary.
- You'll ensure the standard of our output remains high and consistent across our whole product portfolio.
- You'll ensure new pages are published according to specification and in compliance with our web style guide.
- You'll participate in and contribute to our living style guide, Vanilla Framework. Work closely with UX designers, visual designers, project managers and other engineers to implement exemplary user experiences.
What we offer
- An opportunity to help shape a company and products with a strong influence in the open source community
- An inclusive work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX designers to copywriters
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working options
- Your application will be reviewed by our team
- You will be sent a set of written interview questions which will be reviewed anonymously
- You will be asked to take a standardised personality test
- A short interview with a team member
- An HR interview
- You will be asked to complete a small coding test
- A series of four more detailed technical interviews
- Hiring manager interview
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world's computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
No unsolicited recruiters, please.